It was Charlie Chaplin who said “A day without laughter is a day wasted”. Here are some of the important reasons why you need to laugh always:
1. ATTRACTIVENESS: If you performed the exercise above, use a mirror to see how you look when you smiled/laughed and when you frowned, the result is obvious! The beauty of your face is brought to full view when you smile, thereby making you more attractive than usual. Will you frown again? You’d better chose NO, after all, you use fewer muscles to smile than you frown and you draw more pleasant attentions to yourself when you laugh. Hear Dale Carnegie: “The expression one wears on one’s face is far more important than the clothes one wears on one’s back” So smile now and always.
2. HEALING EFFECT ON OTHERS: Have you observed that no matter the condition of a patient, the doctor will always smile at him/her? Laughter is contagious, it releases the mind of the person at which you smiled. A feeling of love and care is attached to smile and laughter especially among persons in an ugly situation and that’s why Phyllis Diller wrote: “A smile is the curve that sets everything straight”. Even 2Pac had a similar thought, in his song ‘Power of a smile’, he rapped thus:
The power of gun can kill, and the power of fire can burn
The power of wind can chill, and the power of mind can learn
The power of anger can rise inside until it tears you apart
But the power of a smile, especially yours, can heal a frozen heart.
Did you grab? Whenever you approach a depressed or sick person, and indeed anyone, start with a smile and see the quick but lasting effect you could create.
3. CURE STRESS AND RELAX YOUR MUSCLES: Are you always stressed out? a smile is the therapy you need. In as much as it may be temporal, laughter causes your blood pressure and pulse rates to drop, researches also show that endorphins which suppress pain while making you feel better are released into your body system when you laugh. Hence, “If you can find laughter in anything, you can survive it” – Anonymous .
4. HEALTH BENEFITS: When you use your sense of humor, your emotional health improves; the brain produces Dopamine which makes for a great sense of pleasure. Also, Serotonin is produced which helps similarly in bringing about relaxation.
More so, your blood vessels dilate, increasing your blood flow, this is particularly important for your cardiovascular health so as to reduce susceptibility to cardiovascular diseases.
Again, laughter aids proper respiration, since it increases oxygen intake and helps in releasing contaminated air in the lungs. Essentially, T-cells (of the immune system) increase when you laugh. Did you laugh now?
5. LAUGHTER IS A PROMOTION TO COMMUNICATION: You laugh with people you love and respect. This gives a sense of belonging and promotes rapport between and among people, including you, your smile endears you to others.
6. A TOOL FOR OPTIMISM: Smiling keeps your hope alive, it enables you cope with your condition and builds the optimistic spirit in you. It could as well help you do away with sorrows and painful happenings. To this end, laughing should become a part of you. And Tom Nansbury says, “Optimist laughs to forget while the pessimist forgets to laugh”. Do ensure you don’t forget to laugh today, if you are unable to laugh, smile and if you are unable to smile, you cannot survive.
Read this article to find more!